Monday, September 19, 2011

Octoberfest Pretzel Caramels


I've been subscribing to Food Network Magazine since they launched their first issue about three years ago. I love the design and layout of the magazine, it's reader friendly and it really showcases the food. Not to mention the recipes are outstanding (I have had a few fails, but the good far out-number the bad). I never threw away an issue, until just this summer when I finally decided to go through the magazines and tear out the recipes I wanted to save and organized them in a binder.

I flipped through the latest issue of the magazine and stumbled upon a recipe for Beer Pretzel Caramels. I've always been intimidated by making homemade caramel. I knew it was easy to burn it and it would require a candy thermometer, which I did not have. However, the list of ingredients was short and I thought it would be the perfect thing to make on a chilly Football Sunday. So I got my butt off the couch after a Baltimore Ravens loss (though I still proudly wore my t-shirt) and went to the store to buy beer and a candy thermometer. I'm sure the cashiers see that purchase every day.

I chose to use Sam Adams Octoberfest for the beer although the original recipe called for a brown ale, not a lager. I thought a lager would add a little more depth and maybe a little spice as well. The caramels are rich, buttery and you can actually taste the beer. The pretzels add a crunch and some salt to balance out the sweetness.


Octoberfest Pretzel Caramels
From Food Network Magazine

1 12 oz. bottle of a brown ale or lager beer (I used Sam Adams Octoberfest)
2 tbs. unstalted butter, plus more to grease the pan
1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed thin pretzels

Pour the beer into a glass and let it sit until it goes flat (about an hour).

Butter an 8 inch square baking dish and set aside. Pour half of the beer into a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Boil the beer until it is reduced to 2 teaspoons, about 10-12 minutes. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining beer, butter, dark brown sugar, corn syrup and heavy cream. Insert a candy thermometer and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Boil until the candy thermometer reaches 235 degrees, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Combine the beer syrup, caramel and the crushed pretzels and stir. Pour the caramel into the greased pan and spread it evenly with a spatula. Chill the caramel until firm, about 45 minutes to an hour.

Cut into pieces and serve. Makes 50-60 small pieces.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...