Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Summer Strawberry Sour Cream Pie


So you may have noticed (or maybe you haven't), that I've been MIA from the blog and social networking world for a few months. It's not because I don't like to blog or tweet or obsessively stalk Instagram, it's just that the past two months have been filled with some big life changes. After four years as a communications coordinator for a membership association in Harrisburg, I decided it was time for a career change. I liked my job and I loved the people that I worked with, but I wasn't going anywhere and I needed a challenge. So, I said goodbye to Harrisburg and said hello to a new career in public relations for the largest healthcare system in central and northeastern Pennsylvania. It turns out I wasn't the only one who needed a change and within the same week, Will took a new job in electrical engineering. So, together we packed up the dogs and made the move to his hometown of Mifflinburg.


So between the move, the new job and summer activities, I haven't had much time to bake. And on the rare occasion that I do bake, I'm usually too exhausted or too lazy to take pictures and write a post. But, at the request of my mom and my grandma, who might still be the only two people who read this, I've decided to make an effort to get back into blogging.

So here it is, the perfect recipe for summer - strawberry pie. Forget the goopy pink sugary glaze from a traditional strawberry pie and opt instead for this baked strawberry pie. The filling is light and creamy and the perfect combination of sweet and tart thanks to the roasted strawberries.


Summer Strawberry Sour Cream Pie
from Worth the Whisk

For the filling:
1 quart fresh strawberries
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup sugar, reserve 1 tablespoon
Dash salt
1 cup sour cream (not fat-free)

For the crust:
Your favorite butter crust recipe or any unbaked, prepared pie crust. 

Preheat oven to 400.

Wash, hull and slice the strawberries. Set the strawberries aside. Sift flour, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add sour cream and blend until creamy. Gently fold the strawberries into the sour cream mixture. Be careful not to over mix. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie crust and spread it evenly to the edges of the crust without packing it down. Sprinkle the top with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.

Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the crust is golden.

To toast the filling, place the pie under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.

Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers. 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...