Friday, October 21, 2011

Baked Salmon and Couscous


No one in my family likes salmon. Especially my mother. In fact, my mother hates salmon so much that when I told her I was making salmon for a date last week, she was pretty convinced I'd end up alone, forever.

"Are you sure he likes salmon?" she asked. "Maybe you should make lasagna or meat and potatoes." I assured her that I had already asked him if he liked salmon and he said yes.

"I don't know," my mother insisted, "salmon is so hard to make, what if you mess it up?" Little did she know, I had a simple and foolproof salmon recipe that was man-tested and approved. 

Baked salmon, simply seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder and dressed with lime juice and butter. It's served alongside a flavorful, yet light couscous salad. Serve the two with your favorite green vegetable (I chose roasted asparagus) and you will have a meal that is sure to impress a special guest. And if you're lucky, it will keep them coming back for more!

Baked Salmon and Couscous
adapted from Bobby Deen

4 4 oz. fillets of fresh salmon
2 limes (one for juicing, one for slicing)
4 tablespoons butter
olive oil
salt
pepper
garlic powder

1 box of toasted pine nut or roasted garlic couscous
chicken stock
olive oil
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil. Place the fillets in the baking dish. Squeeze the juice of one lime over the tops of the fillets. Sprinkle each fillet with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Top each fillet with a tablespoon pat of butter. Top the pat of butter with a lime slice. Bake the fillets for 20-30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.

Follow the directions on the back of the couscous box to prepare the couscous. Use the chicken stock in place of the water. When the couscous is cooked, add the diced tomatoes, green onions and feta cheese. Add a little olive oil and stir. 

Serve the salmon fillets alongside the couscous and your favorite green vegetable.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...