Monday, August 15, 2011

Rainbow Blondies



Yesterday I had one mission: To finally bake those Giant Rainbow cookies made famous by Jessica at How Sweet it Is. I've had a giant bag of M&Ms in my pantry for weeks. I knew if I didn't make the cookies soon, I'd devour the entire bag of M&Ms in front of the TV while watching an all day marathon of The Real Housewives of New Jersey. I know, I know, I just wrote my last post about how busy I am, but I always find time for the important things in life - like trashy television.


So, I preheated the oven, got out my ingredients and realized I was missing one thing. Parchment paper. I touched on the importance of parchment paper in my Chocolate Chip Cookie post two weeks ago. Since investing in commercial grade baking sheets, I will never EVER go back to using non-stick pans or cooking spray. The pans and parchment paper yield perfectly baked cookies every time!

Not wanting to drag my lazy butt to the grocery store on a Sunday morning (and knowing that by doing so I would inevitably return with a dozen freshly baked doughnuts), I did the next best thing. I made cookie bars. Thick and fluffy toffee blondie bars bursting with M&Ms.



Rainbow Blondies
Adapted from How Sweet it Is

2 cups tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 sticks of salted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup M&M candies

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine melted butter and sugars with a whisk. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla and whisk until combined. In another bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring with a wooden spoon. When combined, add the M&Ms.

Spread the dough into your baking pan, using your fingers to make sure it's evenly distributed into all corners of the pan.

Bake for 27-32 minutes or until the edges are brown and the top is golden. Cool and slice into squares.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...