Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Baklava Bars


I'm back! After an almost three week hiatus, I'm back in the kitchen. I'm hoping to get on a more normal schedule here, hopefully posting on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm also planning to venture into the world of cooking as well as baking. Afterall, a girl can't live on sugar alone (though I would try if it wouldn't require me to buy bigger pants on a weekly basis).

I've always had a love for Greek food. Five years ago (wow, that seems so long ago) I had the opportunity to study abroad in Athens, Greece. It was an eye opening experience for more than one reason. First, I was introduced to a culture entirely different from my own. The language, the food, the history - all of it was completely foreign to me. I was immersed in an urban setting for the first time in my life. I was introduced to public transportation, daily riots in front of the parliament buildings and anti-American sentiment. The trip as a whole gave me a broader understanding of the world around me and taught me to respect cultures different from my own.

But back to the food. Ah, the food. There were tavernas on every corner serving up greek salads, heaping plates of moussaka, pastitsio, lemon and oregano baked chicken and potatoes, crusty bread and endless caraffes of wine. Souvlaki stands served up grilled pork on a stick and gyros overflowing with feta and tzatsiki. 

But best of all, were the desserts. I had the pleasure of living on a street corner with two bakeries that served up the best baklava. Crisp and light phyllo dough layered with nuts, cinnamon, cloves and honey. 

I've never attempted to make real baklava at home because I've always been intimidated by working with delicate phyllo dough. A few years ago, I stumbled across this recipe for baklava bars. It's a sugar cookie crust, layered with nuts and spices, phyllo dough crumbles and a sweet honey drizzle. Though it may not be traditional baklava, it tastes almost exactly like it. I've made this recipe for countless picnics and family gatherings and even won a prize in my workplace dessert contest for it. 



Baklava Bars
Adapted from Betty Crocker

Cookie Base
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 egg

Filling
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 frozen mini fillo shells (from 2.1-oz package)

Glaze
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla


Garnish
5 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cookie base ingredients until a soft dough forms. Spread the dough into the bottom of the baking pan and bake for 15 minutes until it is half baked.

Meanwhile, mix the walnuts, sugar, butter, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the half baked cookie dough. Crumble the mini fillo shells over the nut mixture and place the bars back into the oven to bake for an additional 18-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.

In a microwave safe bowl, combine the glaze ingredients and heat it until melted. Remove the bars from the oven and drizzle immediately with the glaze. Allow the bars to cool for at least 2 hours before serving. Drizzle with additional honey immediately before serving. Store at room temperature.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...