Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork



For the first time in 3 years, I was able to take off work the week between Christmas and New Years. I made a list of lofty goals for my time off including a deep clean of my apartment, washing my car, tackling the massive pile of hand wash only sweaters I've accumulated and to get my bake/blog on. Unfortunately, The Real Housewives of Orange County marathon has kept me from as being as productive as I had planned. But, I'm happy to say I crossed one thing off my to do list, to try out a new pork BBQ crockpot recipe.


If there's one person to turn to for a perfectly cooked meat dish it's The Pioneer Woman. I modified her recipe for Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork because I would be making it in a crockpot instead of a dutch oven. I cut back the liquid and added a few extra spices for a bit more flavor.

If you like heat - this recipe is for you. Fortunately, my boyfriend Will and I both like spicy foods, so this pork really hit the spot. Though after we were done eating, Will got up and grabbed a bottle of Maalox and turned to me and said, "do you need some too?" Yeppp... I sure did. After we both chewed a few chalky tablets, we had a good laugh that this was surely a sign we are getting old.

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork
slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman

1 large onion, cut into chunks
1 can (12 oz.) Dr. Pepper
1 can (11 oz.) of chipotle peppers in adobo (use less of the can for less spice)
5-7 lb. boneless pork roast
1 tbs. chopped garlic
2 tbs. brown sugar

Sprinkle the pork roast generously with salt and pepper. Throw the onion chunks into the crockpot and place the roast on top. Pour in the Dr. Pepper and the can of chipotle peppers. Stir in the garlic powder and brown sugar.

Turn the crockpot on high and let it cook for 6 hours or until the pork can be easily shredded. Shred the pork into the juices and let it cook on low for another hour.

Spoon the shredded pork onto a crusty roll and top with BBQ sauce and coleslaw or serve the pork with warm tortillas and taco garnishes.

Makes 18 servings (I froze a lot of my leftovers).
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...