Friday, December 16, 2011

White Chocolate Cake Martinis


Yesterday was my office holiday party. Instead of our traditional gift exchange, we opted this year for a white elephant exchange. I originally bought a singing sock monkey to gift in the exchange but then I thought he was just too cute to part with. Instead I took a trip to the liquor store, because if there's one thing that goes over well with my coworkers - it's booze.

Because I have this little habit of buying things for others that I want to use myself (just ask my Mother how many times I've done this to her), I picked out a bottle of UV Cake Vodka, slapped a recipe on it for cake batter martinis and threw it in a gift bag.

In a white elephant exchange, participants unwrap gifts one by one and on each turn, have a chance to steal a gift from someone else. I was spot on with the booze as a six pack of beer and a bottle of wine were the hot gifts of the day. Things got a little heated when my department secretary realized that the gifts could be stolen and the wino size bottle of cabernet-sauvignon was abruptly taken from her.

I first opened a bag full of chocolate (which was stolen), which lead me to steal my vodka (from the secretary who also lost the wine), only to have it stolen from me twice before it finally ended up in my hands at the end. Other gifts on the table? An authentic voodoo doll, a singing big mouth bass, a light up fake aquarium, a star wars junk drive and Steelers mustard and ketchup bottles. Clearly I made the best choice, right?

So in honor of the awesome gift I received (or umm... gifted and stole), and because I think I really should learn to share, I bring you White Chocolate Cake Martinis. Distinctly cake and perfectly sweet, it's a fun holiday cocktail. Spice it up with a sprinkle of nutmeg and you'll think you're drinking a lightened egg nog.

White Chocolate Cake Martinis

2 cups half and half
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
3 oz. cake flavored vodka
whipped cream
sprinkles and nutmeg for garnish

In a small saucepan, heat the half and half over low heat. Stir in the white chocolate chips and whisk until melted. Turn off the heat. Add the vanilla and vodka and whisk until combined.

Pour the mixture into a shaker over ice and shake for 30 seconds. Strain into a martini glass. Top with whipped cream, sprinkles and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Serve immediately.

Makes 2 large martinis.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...