Friday, September 30, 2011

Spinach and Feta Hummus


I have a love hate relationship with hummus. If it's seasoned enough to hide the taste of the chick peas or creamy enough to make me forget that its made from chick peas, I love it. If it's truly just brown, mushed up chick peas, forget it. I've tried many popular brands of hummus and I've only found one or two that I really like.

This recipe was featured on Tasty Kitchen a few months ago. I love anything that involves feta and spinach so I knew I would have to give it a try. The one thing I modified from the original recipe was the tahini. I ommitted it for two reasons. One, I don't think I like tahini and two, it was $8 for a jar of it at my grocery store. I can find much better things to do with that $8, like putting it towards shoes or rent perhaps (if I'm feeling really responsible).

I have to say this is the first hummus that I truly, truly love. Maybe because the feta is pungent enough to completely mask the taste of the chick peas. It's garlicky, a little spicy and has the perfect amount of acidity from the lemon juice. Plus it's green, so obviously it's healthy, right? Plus, it was ridiculously easy to make. So go ahead, pick up the ingredients, throw them into your food processor and in 5 minutes you will have a homemade hummus that will impress all of your friends.

Spinach and Feta Hummus
from What's Gaby Cooking

30 oz. garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cup fresh spinach
8 oz. feta cheese
1/3 cups olive oil
5 Tablespoons lemon juice
4 Tablespoons tahini (I left this out)
2 Tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 teaspoons salt

In a large food processor, combine garbanzo beans, spinach, olive oil, lemon juice and tahini. Pulse until combined. Add the feta, red pepper flakes, garlic and salt and pulse again combined. Taste and add more red pepper flakes if desired. Scoop the hummus into a dip bowl and drizzle with extra olive oil and garnish with crumbled feta. Serve with pita chips, tortilla chips or veggies.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...