Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Double Berry Lemonade



When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade, right? Well, life has handed me a few lemons in the past couple of weeks. So, I did just that. In the literal sense, I needed a few lemons to zest and juice for various recipes. Being the saving Sally that I am these days (those who know me, know this to be true about all things not involving clothing, shoes, cosmetics or kitchen gadgets), I bought a 2 lb. bag of lemons because it seemed like the economical choice. When it was all said and done and all my recipes were made, I still had a giant bag of lemons. And from that, double berry lemonade was born.

Fresh blueberries and strawberries are pureed with sugar and combined with fresh squeezed lemon juice for a refreshingly tart chiller. It's the perfect beverage for a balmy summer evening with friends. Garnish with a fresh strawberry, lemon slices or a sprig of mint. And, if life truly has handed you lemons in both the literal and non-literal sense, add a shot of your favorite alcohol.



Double Berry Lemonade
Serves 8

8 large strawberries, washed and hulled
1/2 cup blueberries
2 lbs lemons, juiced
1 1/4 cup sugar
5 cups water

In a food processor, pulse the strawberries and blueberries until pureed. Add 1/4 cup sugar and pulse once more. In a pitcher, combine 5 cups of water with the juice of the lemons. Add the berry puree. Stir, and add the remaining 1 cup of sugar. Add more or less sugar to taste. Optional: add lemon slices or fresh berries. Refrigerate and serve over ice. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...