Friday, April 6, 2012

Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins


I've never been much of a breakfast person. Don't get me wrong, I love eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes and all those other amazing breakfast foods, but I rarely have time to eat them. If I'm lucky enough to eat breakfast at all, I grab a granola bar or eat a greek yogurt. On occasion I'll eat cereal (though I still think that eating cereal everyday as a kid made me have an aversion to it as an adult).

Wanting to get back into the habit of eating a healthy, yet quick breakfast, I remembered these Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins I made about a year ago. They are perfect for breakfast on the go. The jelly center adds the perfect touch of sweetness and they're packed with protein and fiber. You can even store a batch of the muffins in the freezer and grab one to go each morning. I found that they defrost on my way to work and make a great mid-morning snack that keeps me full until lunch.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins
adapted from Cooking Light

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ground flax 
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used chunky)
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cooking spray
1/4 cup strawberry jam

Preheat oven to 400. Line a muffin cup pan with paper liners.

Combine flours, sugars, baking powder, flax and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, peanut butter, egg, vanilla and butter and pour it into the center of the dry ingredients. Stir until just moist.

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup half way. Spoon 1 teaspoon of jam into each cup. Spoon the remaining batter on top to cover the jam.

Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched lightly in the center. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...